[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - NPE using JSTL format

PeterJ do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Aug 8 19:44:42 EDT 2006

Trying to use the format taglib in a JSP within a portlet.  But use of f:message leads to:

2006-08-08 16:27:05,734 ERROR [org.jboss.portal.core.command.ControllerCommand] Rendering portlet window default.default.ImagePortletWindow triggered the following error :
  | Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
  | 	  at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.core.Util.getRequestLocales(Util.java:281)
  | 	  at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.fmt.BundleSupport.findMatch(BundleSupport.java:249)
  | 	  at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.fmt.BundleSupport.getLocalizationContext(BundleSupport.java:186)
  | 	  at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.fmt.BundleSupport.getLocalizationContext(BundleSupport.java:137)
  | 	  at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.fmt.MessageSupport.doEndTag(MessageSupport.java:153)
  | 	  at org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.jsp.edit_jsp._jspx_meth_f_message_0(edit_jsp.java:133)
  | 	  at org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.jsp.edit_jsp._jspService(edit_jsp.java:70)
  | 	  at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
  | . . .

Looking at the Util class, I see:

public static Enumeration getRequestLocales(HttpServletRequest request) {
  |   Enumeration values = request.getHeaders("accept-language");
  |   if (values.hasMoreElements()) {                                       //<== line 281
  |     // At least one "accept-language". Simply return
  |     // the enumeration returned by request.getLocales().
  |     // System.out.println("At least one accept-language");
  |     return request.getLocales();
  |   } else {
  |     // No header for "accept-language". Simply return
  |     // the empty enumeration.
  |     // System.out.println("No accept-language");
  |     return values;
  |   }
  | }

It appears that the portal is stripping the language sent by the browser, and thus returning a null when asked for "accept-language".  I even added a supported-locale entry in my portal.xml file, but still get the same NPE.

Does anyone have a JSP using the format JSTL and it works?

JBoss AS 4.0.4.GA, JBoss Portal 2.4.0CR3, Sun JDK 1.5.0_06

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3963933#3963933

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3963933