[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Seam URLs and request processing

dpocock do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Aug 9 10:32:08 EDT 2006

Hi, previously I have been using Struts and am now considering using Seam for my web applications.

In Struts, the requested URL is used to find an action in the struts-config.xml (controller configuration), and Struts then invokes my Action class and finally displays the JSP or other view component.

In Seam/JSF, how does this logic work?  I've looked at the Jave 5 EE tutorial on JSF, and the model they have for request processing, but it makes no mention of Seam.

Can someone help us former Struts users by explaining some of these issues:

a) when I go to a Seam URL, e.g. seam-registration/register.seam, is the URL processed by JSF or by Seam?

b) for the register.seam URL, does JSF/Seam simply look for a JSP file with the same name, e.g. does it look for register.jsp, or if I put the URL help.seam, does it look for help.jsp?  Or is there some more complicated decision making that helps it decide which page to use or which bean to invoke?

c) is there any direct relationship between the Seam component names (e.g. the session bean annotated with @Name("register")) and the URL /register.seam?

d) I notice that for the dvd.xhtml page in the DVD example, you explicitly point to an action by using the pages.xml - but for other pages, you have nothing in pages.xml.  Why is it that you have to explicitly put this code in pages.xml for some pages and not for others?

e) Could someone possibly add a section to the Seam documentation to discuss the URLs, and what the average developer needs to know about the relationship between a URL ending in .seam and the underlying beans and JSP.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3964064#3964064

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3964064