[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: Best way to learn

Agathon do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Aug 14 21:58:51 EDT 2006

"thomas.heute at jboss.com" wrote : Tell us about the flaws

What finally ended up killing the project, was that input components would "disappear" (fail to render) when nested in a datatable component, upon every other page view. This problem generated no exceptions and nothing pertaining to the problem was recorded in the log. Since we were pressed for time, we were forced to evaluate other options; eventually settling on Struts, which has been working quite well.

In my opinion, the single largest flaw in the framework is the lack of control the developer has over the markup that is generated. I found the <f:verbatim> tag to be almost completely worthless in this regard, since you can't nest other components inside the tag. Additionally, if you are using the latest version of JSP, you can't include partial XHTML statements inside verbatim tags, since everything has to be valid XML. This made formatting the user-interface inordinately difficult and time-consuming.

As I said above, things aren't all bad. I really liked the IoC backing bean management features. This really has the potential to make your code almost entirely independent of the framework. Navigation and validation were also well conceived.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3965152#3965152

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3965152