[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & Deployment] - connection refused from external network

robo do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Aug 29 19:15:21 EDT 2006

hi all,

are there any special configuration items i need to pay attention to when trying to run jboss AS from a machine in my internal network behind a firewall/router?

i'll apologize right off and say that i'm not positive my problem is a jboss problem.

my problem: i can start jboss AS 4.04.GA on a machine in my internal network and successfully access it from any other machine in my network, but when i try to access it from outside my network i get "The connection was refused when attempting to contact <WAN_IP>:8080", just like i get when attempting to access a port that i know is closed.

i have a static IP from my ISP and a DSL router that can forward port requests for that IP to various internal machines. the machine i'm trying to forward port 8080 requests to is a linux box running FC4. i configured iptables to accept tcp connections on port 8080.

what i've tried so far to no avail:

1. disable the linux firewall altogether
2. start jboss on a different port since the linux box seems to believe port 8080 is for webcache service (which i don't know anything about)
3. edit the server.xml file in jbossweb-tomcat50.sar to change the tomcat host name reference to my static IP instead of "localhost" in case there was some binding problem
4. start jboss with 'run.sh -b<WAN_IP>
5. configure iptables on the jboss machine to forward port 80 requests to port 8080, and then try to access jboss through port 80 from external network

i'm sort of at a loss. something is clearly shutting down requests on that port. i know the port forwarding works in general since i've had success routing mysql and http requests on their respective ports. but nothing in my router log, linux security log, or jboss log is telling me who is refusing the connection.

thanks for any help or suggestions on how to even diagnose the problem!

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3968257#3968257

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3968257