[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: How do I test simple SLSBs?

chuckadams do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Aug 30 18:18:48 EDT 2006

I looked at SeamTest and felt kind of silly for not putting any of the test logic in a script.  I changed it thusly:

  | public class GreeterTest extends SeamTest {
  |
  | 	@Test
  | 	public void testGreeterHello() throws Exception {
  | 		new Script() {
  | 			@Override
  | 			protected void invokeApplication() {
  | 				Greeter g = (Greeter) Component.getInstance("greeter");
  |
  | 				assert "Hello, world!".equals(g.getHello());
  | 			}
  | 		}.run();
  | 	}
  | }

And at least I got a more familiar error.

  | org.jboss.seam.InstantiationException: Could not instantiate Seam component: greeter
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.Component.newInstance(Component.java:1440)
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.Component.getInstance(Component.java:1350)
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.Component.getInstance(Component.java:1324)
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.Component.getInstance(Component.java:1318)
  | 	at bizint.fiat.test.GreeterTest$1.invokeApplication(GreeterTest.java:18)
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.mock.SeamTest$Script.run(SeamTest.java:242)
  | 	at bizint.fiat.test.GreeterTest.testGreeterHello(GreeterTest.java:22)
  | Caused by: javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource file:  java.naming.factory.initial
  | 	at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(NamingManager.java:645)
  | 	at javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(InitialContext.java:288)
  | 	at javax.naming.InitialContext.getURLOrDefaultInitCtx(InitialContext.java:325)
  | 	at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:392)
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.Component.instantiate(Component.java:809)
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.Component.newInstance(Component.java:1436)
  | 	... 23 more
  | ... Removed 17 stack frames

I've always wondered at the generality of "could not instantiate Seam component".  Why not?  Was the underlying class not found?  Name not resolved?  Bad Mood?  Stars not in alignment?   Doesn't seem to be name related, because when I try Component.getInstance("kwyjibo") I get the ubuquitous NullPointerException instead (Java seems to give me more of those than I ever got in C or C++)

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3968493#3968493

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3968493