[jboss-user] [JBoss Messaging] - Re: Problems at Startup with MySQL 5 and XAConnection

timfox do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Aug 31 13:55:56 EDT 2006

"felipeal" wrote : Hi again, ...
  | I thought it was still called JBossMQ and that Jboss Messaging was the name of the next generation's...

JBoss Messaging is the new generation JMS provider (http://www.jboss.com/products/messaging) - it's already in 1.0.
JBossMQ is the old JMS provider that is still the default JMS provider for JBoss 4.x.
JBoss Messaging will be the default JMS provider in JBoss 5.x and above.
This forum is about JBoss Messaging, there is another forum that handles JBossMQ queries.

"felipeal" wrote :
  | By JBoss TS do you meand the current stuff or Arjuna's ?

JBoss Transactions (JBoss TS) is the new name for what used to be called Arjuna transactions (I think) until JBoss bought it.

JBoss TS will be the default transaction manager in JBoss 5, and I think can already be used with JBoss 4.x. I would post a question in the JBoss TS forum to get clarification on this.

"felipeal" wrote :
  | Funny, it worked on MySQL, even though I didn't use a XAResource. I mean, my DB connection is configured as <local-tx> instead of <xa-datasource> (in fact, it's the same local-tx datasource used by the JMS RA).

I suspect the JCA adaptor may be doing some kind of last resource optimisation here. Best post in the JCA forum - they should be able to help you since I'm not an expert in the JCA area.

"felipeal" wrote :
  | My guess is that the only drawback happens when this simple transaction fails (for instance, due to a lock or error in the database), i.e., from the point of the view of the global transaction, the JMS transaction branch is committed (as the prepare phase returned ok), so somehow JBM or JBTS will have to guarantee the messages are written in the database).

The messages will already have been written in the prepare stage, so we can guarantee the messages are there. If commit fails then typically this will be a transitory reason e.g. no network connection, db server is down. the transaction manager will retry periodically until it works. If there is a catastrophic failure e.g. bomb in data centre then even 2pc won't help you.

"felipeal" wrote :
  | Now, back to the original MySQL issue, the problem still remains: how to configure a XA datasource for a MySQL database on JBoss. I know this is not exactly an issue for the JBoss Messaging forum, but using JBM is the easiest way to reproduce the problem: it's just a matter of setting the JMS xml files to use such datasource and waiting to JBoss to fail on startup... I will fill a Jira issue regarding it (and explaining the whole situation), ok?

Felipe- as to how to set up an XA datasource for Mysql - I would suggest you post a message in the JCA forum - they may have some insight here.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3968723#3968723

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3968723