[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Referencing global view-id variables from .jpdl.xml

spambob do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Dec 13 09:58:32 EST 2006

Hello,

is it somehow possible to declare 'global view-id variables' and reference them in .jpdl.xml files?

I.e. one has a 20+ pageflows that all end on the 'home' page. Now, instead of setting the view-id of the end state of every single of these >20 pageflows to '/home.xhtml', one sets the view-id of the end state to 'home' and declares 'home' in navigation.xml or faces-config.xml like this:
<navigation-case>
  |       <from-outcome>home</from-outcome>
  |       <to-view-id>/home.xhtml</to-view-id>
  |       <redirect />
  | </navigation-case>
(just like one would do without using pageflows)
I'm asking because i get
javax.servlet.ServletException: ViewId must start with '/' (viewId = home) when I try this :(.

IMHO it would be pretty useful if an additional layer of indirection is available because without this one had to edit every single .jpdl.xml file if one wants to change the 'home' page instead of only the navigation-case tag. Further this violates the DRY principle.

The differentiation could be done by checking if the view-id start with / or not and it shouldn't produce overhead because this file is read on startup, therefore every reference could be substituted by the 'real' value on startup.

What do you think? - i would love to do this in bigger projects!

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3993407#3993407

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3993407