[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Basic Seam questions

lightbulb432 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Dec 14 01:32:38 EST 2006

Some questions below:

1) Could somebody describe the difference between the Seam-Managed Persistence Context that I've been reading about and the regular persistence contexts (Transaction and Extended)? Which one is it more similar to, and what should a Seam user know about it?

2) If you have an entity whose fields you populate over several steps in a conversation, business process, or just a session, would you need to avoid validation annotations like @NotNull?

I tried it and, after the first step in the multi-step process, it expectedly says that you're violating a null condition (because you've entered only a few fields and not all). Is there any way to get around this, short of moving everything to a single page or getting rid of annotations...or is this just a downside of such multi-step processes?

3) If you have an existing entity that is detached, what's the difference between calling EntityManager.persist and EntityManager.merge? Is persist simply not meant to be used in such a case (though couldn't it find the current existing row in the database using the primary key of the Java entity and update that row based on changes)?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3993705#3993705

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3993705