[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Quartz TimerService

dilator do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Dec 16 12:23:36 EST 2006

I've not tried using Quartz via the resource adapter - I'll have to check that out.  I was more interested in using Quartz as a drop-in replacement for the EJB TimerService.

My main reason for this is I would like to create an arbitrarily large set of timers (for example 2 or 3 timers for each user on a website).  As I understand (and have done a bit of testing which confirms this), that whilst the default TimerService implementation uses java.util.Timer, it creates a new java.util.Timer for every ejb Timer requested, rather than scheduling a new entry on an existing Timer - so basically 1 thread per ejb Timer, which obviously does not scale.  As far as I can see there is no reason why this could not be implemented differently?

Anyways http://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/EJBTHREE-619 says you simply have to change a system property to get the Quartz implementation running.  I've done this, and can see that the QuartzTimerServiceFactory is being created, but no TimerServices are being injected anymore, so something isn't quite right...

I'm suprised I don't have to change anything in the ejb-timer-service.xml?

Thanks again - i'll cross post this to the EJB3 forum too

ben

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3994435#3994435

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3994435