[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Ajax4JSF experiences

gavin.king@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Jul 15 12:18:40 EDT 2006

OK, so I spent some time playing with JSF yesterday afternoon. Overall I'm pretty happy with the APIs but....

So, what I've noticed so far is:

(0) <a4j:region> is required in MyFaces, as per Ajax4JSF docs (ugly!)
(1) <a4j:region selfRendered="true"> breaks with Seam, probably some problem to do with phase listeners/filters
(2) <a4j:region selfRendered="false"> is totally broken, at least in JSP/MyFaces. Might be OK in facelets and/or the RI
(3) The echo example works with a <h:outputText> as the component to be re-rendered, but not with a <h:inputText>

Does anyone know how to solve any of these problems?

Ajax4JSF is implemented as a servlet filter instead of as a custom UIViewRoot (which is the route that Jacob/Ed/Adam have been going down).

The Ajax4JSf docs hint that the difference b/w the UIViewRoot implementations in MyFaces and the RI is what causes problems in MyFaces, which leads me to wonder if they really should be replacing the viewroot. Furthermore, it seems to be their hacked lifecycle that causes probelm (1) on Seam. However, it might be that Ajax4JSF is doing extra stuff compared to what is in facelets CVS (Ajax4JSF seems to do partial restores as well as partial renders).

Anyway, my conclusion is that this stuff needs some serious work to be usable...

I will contact the Exadel guys next week probably.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3958272#3958272

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3958272