[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Embeddable Objects (EJB3) not working properly

niesar do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jul 18 13:15:43 EDT 2006

Gavin,

please don't feel offended! My intention is far away to come anyway close to that point. Sorry about that!!! (Well, actually I'm feeling a bit offended now)

You know, my original question was which part of this combination of JBoss AS/EJB3/Seam/JSF/MyFaces is actually causing the problem - and where to file the bug. Please don't get me wrong. That is definitely not supposed to be an offense at all. I simply don't know if I can definitely say that this is a MyFaces issue. So I'm raising the question here since Seam/JBoss AS comes bundled with all this stuff and it looks like I'm supposed to use it. That's the simple reason I start the discussion here. You know, if it turns out it's a MyFaces issue, I'll take the discussion over there - and I'll try to tell people over here that there's a problem they could run into. Isn't that the way it should be?

Now, since I already spent days with this problem and a lot of time to boil my real world problem down to it's essence, I just didn't want to live with a strange workaround and leave the problem as it is. That won't help anybody! Actually, reporting these kind of problems is a bit my way to pay back a little to open source projects where I'm not involved myself. I think that's a lot better than just walking away. Offending anybody is not my business.

So I'm asking again: Where exactly is the problem?

1. possibility:
MyFaces problem since it should be able to deal correctly with the EJB3 stuff Hibernate/EJB3 is producing? You know, I wasn't so confident any more when I decompiled the ClassA.class file (ClassE is embedded in ClassA). At least the decompiler gives some strange output telling me something about a reference to ClassE in a way I never saw before. But since this decompiler is quite old, it surely knows nothing about EJB3 or even EJB. However, it seems that ClassA.class doesn't look like standard Java meta code from a few years back any more. Anyway, I don't know if there is a strict definition how the meta code has to look like when EJB3 @Embeddable/@Embedded is used. In case this is well defined, it could be that EJB3/Hibernate is producing some code which is only working in the JBoss world or MyFaces can't handle a well defined case.

2. possibility:
MyFaces may not even be supposed to handle this kind of code. In that case there is the incompatibility I was talking about before and Hibernate/EJB3 and MyFaces simply don't fit. But since I only use MyFaces because it's kind of built in here, I can only guess that all the EJB3 stuff should work in MyFaces.

3. possibility:
I'm doing something wrong and my code is a piece of shit. Well, that can easily be. But as I said, I spent more than the complete weekend on this issue and now I think I simplified the test case so far, that I'm pretty convinced there is an issue with the @Embeddable/@Embedded stuff. You know, if I'm using a workaround and don't use @Embeddable/@Embedded, everything works fine. However, that's no option for my real world stuff. But never mind.

So - without offending anybody, please -  where do you think is the problem?
Is this definitely a MyFaces issue? Is there nobody else using @Embeddable/@Embedded in combination with Seam/JSF? I'm not ready to believe this yet, since I thought that is common practice - at least if legacy databases must be used.
And no, I don't ask any more where to file the bug. That seems to be a question which is by far too dangerous ;)))

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3958888#3958888

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3958888