[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: Please explain the Portal URL - /portal/portal

hamptont do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jul 19 11:25:47 EDT 2006

I have a number of other applications (CGI/Perl, PHP, etc.) running on my apache web servers and use ModJk to loadbalance/forward certain URLs to my JBoss app servers.

I have URL's like the following

http://my.host.com/cgi_program
  | http://my.host.com/php_program
  | http://my.host.com/portal/myportal  (this is what I want anyway)

I have ModJk configurations like this

JkMount /portal
  | JkMount /portal/*

This is to forward/loadbalance the portal request from apache servers to my jboss servers for scalability and failover.  If I change the context root to "/" instead of "/portal" then that works fine for page URLs, but action urls such as the ones in the UserPortlet don't work.  Apache isn't forwarding those request to the jboss server because the "/portal" context root is gone.

Look at the URL for the "Standard Login" link in UserPortlet.  If the context root is "/portal" (the default) this link looks like this.

http://localhost/portal/auth/index.html.......

If you change the context root to "/" then that link looks like this.

http://localhost/auth/index.html.......

Notice that the "/portal" appears nowhere.

If I put port 8080 in my url explicitly and don't forward through apache it works, but I can't do that in production.  The problem is that I have to have a context root to base my ModJk redirects on.  I can't use a ModJK config that looks like this because that would redirect all URLs to the app servers and my other applications won't work.

JkMount /
  | JkMount /*

My first thought was, "fine I'll just put /auth in the ModJk config" but that's not going to work either because /auth isn't the only URL.  Look at the "create one" link in the UserPortlet.

With context root /portal this is the URL

http://localhost/portal/index.html......

With context root / this is the URL

http://localhost/index.html......

If I don't have a context root then I can't do anything with this URL.  It just doesn't work without a context root if I'm forwarding from apache.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3959175#3959175

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3959175