[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: User Input Req for 2.6 Usability and UI enhancements

roy.russo@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Jul 24 09:52:15 EDT 2006

"Frozen4Time" wrote : I think the biggest thing that is needed for the portal is a WYSIWYG style page layout.  While I think the current tree view in the admin portlet is a nice way to get a big picture view of "what is where" in the portal, it's not very intuative or user freindly.

We actually discussed this idea for managing the layout of pages. You should see something of this nature in 2.6, when we introduce the ability for users to customize pages. Ideally, the same functionality can be introduced to the admin side.

Google, actually had something like this (drag-n-drop wysiwyg layout builder) in their first versions of their portal. For some reason, I can't find it anymore, but it was a killer feature.

"Frozen4Time" wrote :
  | For example giving them a container that will layout portlets in row or column order, being able to specify the number of rows or columns, specifying pixle or percentage widths to these containers.

A good idea, but it gets tricky. Layouts (# and names of columns) are currently defined in jsps, so this would have to change in to making layouts dynamic.

"Frozen4Time" wrote :
  | The current JBoss Portal layou engine locks the user into a predefined structure and the layout utility is not that user friendly.

True. The only workaround for now, is to have X# layouts deployed, allowing for the user/admin to pick whichever he wants.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3960380#3960380

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3960380