[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Tutorial Feedback

gavin.king@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jul 25 21:42:13 EDT 2006

anonymous wrote : How does it know to render/display the JSP file? Does it just look for a jsp with the same name?

Yes, when a suffix mapping like *.seam is used for the JSF servlet, JSF uses the javax.faces.DEFAULT_SUFFIX to pick a view. By default, javax.faces.DEFAULT_SUFFIX="jsp".

This is defined in section 2.2.1 of the JSF 1.2 spec. Actually, this URL mapping stuff is something I would like to see become *significantly* more flexible in the next rev of JSF.

anonymous wrote : here seems to be some magical component named "taskInstanceList" that isn't referenced anywhere in the code except for the todo.jsp file

Right, this is a built-in Seam component for working with jBPM task lists. One of the great things about Seam is that you get stuff like this for free that you would otherwise have to build yourself. The full list of built-in components is here:

http://docs.jboss.com/seam/latest/reference/en/html/components.html

And, of course, it is a growing list ;-)

anonymous wrote : Also, the "update" action referenced from the JSP - what's up with that? Is that a magic action? Is it just refreshing the jsp page or is there something else happening?

Actually its unnecessary. JSF ignores outcomes (its not an action, just an outcome) that have no navigation rule and treats them just like the null outcome.

anonymous wrote : Incidently, it's annoying that the previously added todo item stays in the input field. While I can see why that happens, I presume that since I'm not using an instance variable on my action bean I can't set it to null after the "createTodo()" method.

Well, this is just because the inputText in the JSP and the task in the jPDL are both bound to the same property. You could easily change this and have two different properties, and have createTodo copy from one to the other, nulling the first.

anonymous wrote : I noticed that I can submit the page by hitting the enter key but it just reloads the page. Interestingly, it sort of submits the form, as it updates the "higher/lower" display. However, it doesn't update the other messages or the number of guesses remaining.

I cannot reproduce this - it works fine for me.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3960850#3960850

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3960850