[jboss-user] [JBoss Eclipse IDE (users)] - JBossIDE-2.0.0.Beta2 enhancements to support complex Jboss c

garu do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Nov 1 18:30:18 EST 2006

Hi IDE team,
first of all let me explain the kind of configuration i'm talking about.
I?m starting Jboss passing the following properties:
-Djboss.home.dir=C:/local/jboss
-Djboss.server.name=ssrv10
-Djboss.server.base.dir=C:/home/jboss/server
-Djboss.server.base.url=file:/C:/home/jboss/server

This means that with a single installation in C:/local/jboss i can have any number of different instances based in C:/home/jboss/server, depending on the server name.
As an example you can see the log of the start with the above properties:
19:28:44,296 INFO  [Server] Home Dir: C:\local\jboss
19:28:44,296 INFO  [Server] Home URL: file:/C:/local/jboss/
19:28:44,296 DEBUG [Server] Library URL: file:/C:/local/jboss/lib/
19:28:44,296 INFO  [Server] Patch URL: null
19:28:44,296 INFO  [Server] Server Name: ssrv10
19:28:44,296 INFO  [Server] Server Home Dir: C:\home\jboss\server\ssrv10
19:28:44,296 INFO  [Server] Server Home URL: file:/C:/home/jboss/server/ssrv10/
19:28:44,296 INFO  [Server] Server Log Dir: C:\home\jboss\server\ssrv10\log
19:28:44,312 DEBUG [Server] Server Data Dir: C:\home\jboss\server\ssrv10\data
19:28:44,312 INFO  [Server] Server Temp Dir: C:\home\jboss\server\ssrv10\tmp
19:28:44,312 DEBUG [Server] Server Config URL: file:/C:/home/jboss/server/ssrv10/conf/
19:28:44,312 DEBUG [Server] Server Library URL: file:/C:/home/jboss/server/ssrv10/lib/

The ports for each instance are set using the server-bindings.xml.
The jboss-service.xml contains two url deployers, the first that deploys all the system services from the installation C:\local\jboss\default or all configurations, the second one, depending on the first, that deploys from the instance deploy directory, in the above case C:/home/jboss/server/deploy.
This allows to have a clear separation between the system services and the user applications, because the instance deploy dir will contain only the user applications and they will be deployed only when all the system is up and running.

Now, I?m using this kind of configuration on my pc to mimic the production machines and test application deployment on the same kind of configuration.
I?d like to be able to use JbossIDE to publish on this kind of configuration, but even if I?m able to define and start the different instance of the servers as described above,  I?ve found some drawbacks that do not allow me to use it to publish projects in the above kind of configuration.

1-	the first is that i need to alter the jndi port number in the launch configuration stop and twiddle args to match the number defined for the instance, but after a start and a stop of the server, the port number in the launch configuration is reset back to the default value of 1099.
2-	The publish is always creating the project wars in ${ jboss.home.dir}/default, while the correct publishing directory should be ${ jboss.server.home.dir} that for the above configuration is C:\home\jboss\server\ssrv10
3-	This is really minor, but the port numbers shown in descriptor XPaths properties are the ports of the ${ jboss.home.dir}/default/conf/jboss-service.xml not the real ones with which the server is running, that where changed by jboss.system:service=ServiceBindingManager during the server startup.

Now, given that the jboss.* properties are meant exactly to allow this kind of configuration, similar to that of Tomcat, one installation multiple instances, i?m asking for the following enhancements:

1-	please, once the launch configuration is created and changed by the developer it must not be altered any longer, unless the developer is explicitly doing it (this smell like a bug? :))
2-	the publish directory must be configurable and not default to the deploy directory of the configuration chosen for the runtime
3-	I know I?m asking too much, but think how wonderful it could be if the XPaths ports values displayed were the real ones with which the server is running, taken from the mbeans ;)

What do you think about?

Thanks,  Gabriele

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3982489#3982489

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3982489