[jboss-user] [Remoting] - Is Http Firewall tunneling in Remoting or Messaging ?

fatbatman do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Nov 22 06:07:12 EST 2006

Hi,

I have an applet on a public webpage that needs to communicate with a server.
The applet needs to be able to make synchronous and asynchronous method calls on the server.
The server needs to send asynchronous (callback) messages from the server to client.

The applet may be behind a firewall that only allows outgoing http connections, so firewall tunneling is a definite requirement.
I was planning on using JBoss http Remoting but after playing around a little and reading the pages below, I've realised it doesn't support transparent http firewall tunneling, yet.

http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=91135&start=40
http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=JBossMessagingRemotingAPIExtensions
http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=JBossMessagingRemotingAPIExtensions_Deux

Are the JBossMessagingRemotingAPIExtensions related to http firewall tunneling being temporarily added to the Messaging project?, or are they being implemented directly into Remoting?  Are their timeframes estimates for this?

I have a live multiplayer turn based gaming server, which currently uses a custom protocol over a bidirectional direct socket connection using nio.
The current solution doesn't support http firewall tunneling and I'd prefer to move to a "transparent" communication system such as Remoting rather than implement this myself.  As such I'll be happy to test out the new features of Remoting, when available, as they have the potential to be very useful to me.

regards

James

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3987854#3987854

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3987854