[jboss-user] [JBossCache] - Clustered-cache memory utilization issues

gshriki do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Nov 27 05:09:16 EST 2006

Hi there,

I?m experiencing some wired behavior in the JBoss Cache, regarding its memory management.

Please have a look on the following scenario:
1. Machine A creates a cache (a-sync mode).
2. Machine A creates 50,000 objects (Each ? 1K).
3. Machine B joins the cache.
4. Machine A puts all 50,000 objects to the cache.
5. Machine B gets all nodes to its local memory.
6. Kill the application on machine B ().
7. Machine B start the application again, and joins the cluster.
8. Kill the application on machine B ().
9. Machine B start the application again, and joins the cluster.
10. Kill the application on machine B ().
11. Machine B start the application again, and joins the cluster.
12. Kill the application on machine B ().
13. Machine B start the application again, and joins the cluster.

For each step, I?ve measured the time (in MS) and the memory utilization.

Some of the results:
Average time to insert the nodes (by machine A) - 19,842.60 ms
Average time to recieve all the nodes (by machine B) - 30,673.60 ms
Average time to machine B to start (with loading all the cache data) - 18,954.50 ms
Average memory usage to empty cache - 87.11 mb
Average memory usage by objects (not in the cache) - 198.40 mb
Average memory on machine A after step 5 - 550.40 mb
Average memory on machine B after getting all data - 400.40 mb
Average memory on machine A after step 7- 859.40 mb
Average memory on machine A after step 8- 908.20 mb
Average memory on machine A after step 11- 926.20 mb
Average memory on machine A after step 13- 931.00 mb

So my issues:
It appears that each time machine B restarts, the memory utilization on machine A gets higher?
Mainly I?m concern about the first time machine B stops and restarts. It takes the memory utilization on machine A from 550.40mb to 859.4mb?
Another issue is the time that machine B takes to load all cache? ~19 sec. Is that what I need to expect?

BTW, I?m using twi machine, both with Linux Red-Had Advance server 3 rc5. I'm using the top command to monitor the memory utilization for the processes.

Thanks,
Gilad.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3988776#3988776

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3988776