[jboss-user] [JBossCache] - TreeCacheMBean and TreeCache references

astrien do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Nov 28 08:30:10 EST 2006

I've been through the forums, wiki, and google, so at last I'm forced to post.

We're setting up a treecache where nodes are created, each with it's own expiration date.  Each of these nodes will be leaf-nodes, so there's no problem with expiring a node that has children that aren't ready to expire yet.

There are a few things I've come up against, though, that are giving me headaches with JBoss Cache.  The first is that if I create an MBean as in the examples, then that leaves me with no way to get a reference programmatically to the actual TreeCache instance object.  I'm looking for that in order to get to the "org.jboss.cache.eviction.RegionManager", so when we add a new node, we can dynamically set its eviction policy.

I've been pointed again and again to this little gem in the TreeCache documentation in section 6.2:

  | // note this is just to show that a running TreeCache instance must be
  | // retrieved somehow. How it is implemented is up to the implementer.
  | TreeCache cache = getRunningTreeCacheInstance();

...which of course doesn't solve anything because I've yet to find one example anywhere on this site of an implementation of whatever magical code would be behind the "getRunningTreeCacheInstance();" method from an MBean setup.

My other question would be whether or not we can actually do dynamic eviction policies - in other words, set the eviction policy for each node as they are added.  Even better would be a way to tell the cache to key the eviction policy off a specifically named attribute of the nodes if it should exist (new feature request?).  This would solve multiple problems at once and allow for some nice optimisation under the covers.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3989307#3989307

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3989307