[jboss-user] [JBossCache] - Re: Hibernate/Cache conceptual mismatch

otaylor do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Oct 11 10:12:58 EDT 2006

Manik: I think using a separate method is likely a cleaner approach. I do want to note
 here that a separate method by itself can't solve the correctness issues I noted
 in my comment of Sep. 18th, at least for the pessimistic case, since basically the
 cache has no way of knowing whether the put() or the update() is providing newer
 information. In the optimstic case with explicit versioning, the situation is better.

Scott:  Are you wondering if we can get a  "dirty read" if we call putFromExternalRead()
 the transaction suspended? The assumption here is that the caller of
 putFromExternalRead() only calls the method with data that was committed to the
 database before the start of the outer transaction, and not with data that was updated
 in the outer transaction. Hibernate, for example, makes that guarantee except in
 the most exotic situations. (You might be able to fool it if you tried hard.)

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3977555#3977555

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3977555