[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: JavaScript Error when using sortable <t:dataTable>

texan do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Oct 18 10:25:20 EDT 2006

[rant]
I'm actually pretty shocked that the JSF team (commitee?) didn't build more of this stuff into the specification.  We're all re-inventing these components, or trying to find alternatives like Trinidad.  In my case, I'm not in a position to switch to Trinidad right now, as I'm too close to going live.  I've pulled out most of the Tomahawk components and put in brute-force alternatives using Facelets "custom components".  Later I'll probably integrate Trinidad.

The things that I needed that are missing (as far as I can tell) from JSF and are poorly implemented in Tomahawk are:

1. Date/Time input - tomahawk has a simple date picker, InputCalendar (which I'm still using), and a more complex date/time component, InputDate.  For reasons that escape me, they hid many of the InputCalendar settings in the InputDate component, rendering it useless to me.

2. Drop-down menus.  Come on, how can you design a UI spec like JSF a leave this out?  Tomahawk's component wrapper around the (excellent) JSCOOK javascript menu is extrememely weak, once again hiding many of the settings that I need to manipulate.

3. A sortable, pageable table, with a corresponding TableData bean to hold sort column, ascending, and paging attributes.  Tomahawk's component is half-baked.

Maybe the Tomahawk components will improve in the next release, but I'm skeptical, and can't afford the risk of using their latest CVS dev code.

There are plenty of other things that are missing, but these seem to be core components that are missing from JSF itself.  What's the point of a UI specification if it leaves the meat of the problem as an excercise for the reader?
[/rant]

Okay, to be fair, I shouldn't complain if I'm not willing to step up and help.  Sadly, I'm better at whining than helping.

Having said all that, my ranting doesn't really contribute much to this forum, so I'll shut up now and get back to work.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3979094#3979094

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3979094