[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Help from portlet

jkoek do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Sep 8 09:31:09 EDT 2006

Hello,

My mission;

I want to implement a help window based on all help that is related to a page. This means I want to trigger the portlets to add help to a specific area on the screen. In my case it will be a div that is hidden until the user presses on the help button.

This way I have a help that is generated by a portlet based on all portlets that are on the page.

My problem;
To accomplish this I'm using the actionURL that is standard for every portlet. So I have one help portlet that generates the needed help for all portlets using the actionURL.
However this is failing; my piece of code;

//for every window on this page we will try to trigger the help page and include this information  in a global help page
for (Iterator windowIterator = currentPage.getChildren().iterator(); windowIterator.hasNext();) {
	PortalNode portalNode = (PortalNode) windowIterator.next();
	if ( portalNode.getType() == PortalNode.TYPE_WINDOW ) {
	String actionURL = getPortalNodeHelpURL( resp, portalNode );

private String getPortalNodeHelpURL(RenderResponse resp, PortalNode portalNode ){
if(resp instanceof JBossRenderResponse){
try {
PortalNodeURL childURL = ((JBossRenderResponse) resp).createActionURL(portalNode);
childURL.setParameter( "mode", "help" );
return childURL.toString();

This call leads to an exception.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Jeroen.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3970340#3970340

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3970340