[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: ..:: Questions about Seam design!!!

gcomnz do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Sep 13 18:05:59 EDT 2006

bfo81, if you'd like to use Seam with a separate back-end layer of any sort, it's quite easy to do so. Look at the CaveatEmptor CVS checkout from the Hibernate in Action book web site for nice generic DAO layer abstract classes if you're wanting to combine it with Hibernate.

I'd venture that you can pretty much always do without the DTO paradigm and just pass disconnected Hibernate entities back, even when you do want a DAO layer, perhaps excepting the case where you want a long-lasting API for published web services (for third parties).

I've had a lot of success so far working with a DAO layer, and in our case, a very large project that has a "business engine" that is accessed for multiple business lines and separate web-applications, it does seem appropriate and done right adds very little code overhead.

The best bit is that even with the layer in the back-end you can use components.xml to instantiate back-end entities and DAOs as Seam components in any scope without them having to have any Seam-specific coding.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3971421#3971421

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3971421