[jboss-user] [Clustering/JBoss] - Re: Farm deployement problem

bstansberry@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Sep 15 10:36:20 EDT 2006

Glad that helped. :)

But, when I read your response a potential cause of your problem occurred to me. So here's something else to try for those who have issues sending files using farming but still want to use UDP:

In cluster-service.xml, bump up the buffer sizes in the UDP protocol:

  | <UDP mcast_addr="${jboss.partition.udpGroup:228.1.2.3}"
  |        mcast_port="45566"
  |        ip_ttl="8" ip_mcast="true"
  |        mcast_send_buf_size="25000000" mcast_recv_buf_size="640000"
  |        ucast_send_buf_size="20000000" ucast_recv_buf_size="640000"
  |        loopback="false"/>

Now that's a pretty big increase in the resources JGroups is going to use (the old defaults for the send buffers were 800000).  If you're concerned about that, don't increase the send buffers so much, but leave the receive buffers at 640K.

Farming sends files around the cluster in 512K chunks.  With the default config, the receive buffer sizes are not even large enough to hold one chunk.  This can lead to problems where the packets that make up part of a chunk get dropped and have to be retransmitted.  With very large files, this can slow things down to the point timeouts start getting tripped and the transfer fails.

I'll bump the default size of the buffers for 4.0.5.GA:

http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-3659

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3971941#3971941

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3971941