[jboss-user] [JBossCache] - Re: Minimizing POJOCache impact on existing codebases

gregory.pierce@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Sep 19 17:19:42 EDT 2006

"ben.wang at jboss.com" wrote : Greg,

  | To answer your questions regarding load-time instrumentation.
  |
  | 1. You will notice in the examples dir, I have not put any load-time examples there. The main reason actually is that we don't encourage load time option for production usage. This is because, say, 1) run under JBoss AS, it will be very slow to start AS because JBoss Aop/Javaassit need to inspect all of the classes involved, and 2) under other AS envs, no way we can have our own special class loader without servere tinkering.

The issue, however, is that there are plenty of people who would want to use JBossCache in a standalone mode and as such not even documenting the option makes things a little bit more painful - especially when you want to compare/compete with a standalone product.

anonymous wrote :
  | And honestly, I don't see the downside of using AOPC for production. Do you see one?

The ant driven aopc path makes some assumptions about the availability of precompiled class files. If you have an environment where that isn't the case and I have one that isn't even a contrived example as I've written a tool that generates templated classes, and while I can do aopc in the background I really just want to use the 'scripting' environment that created the classes and instrument them as class-load or runtime.

anonymous wrote :
  | 2. So like you mentioned, it is good to learn this product using load-time option. I agree. Actually, I use the following Java options to run the unit test inside my IDE:
  |
  | -Djboss.aop.path=${output}/resources/jboss-aop.xml -javaagent:${lib-50}/jboss-aop-jdk50.jar
  |
  | So can you possibly contribute an example that runs with load time? :-)

I am working on that very thing. Actually putting together a whitepaper that speaks to JBossCache specifically.

anonymous wrote :
  | 3. Finally, PojoCache with default configuration property (e.g., LOCAL mode) is simply not interesting. You can't see the fine-grained graph replication at work!
  |
  | -Ben

While its not all that interesting, you have to be able to show people how to walk before they can run. The problem with the current stuff is that we show people EVERYTHING, and the simple cases are simply missing. I want to do this as a progression showing the bare basics of getting started and going from there - assumig that JBossCache is used in a standalone manner.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3972747#3972747

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3972747