[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Exporting XML with faceltes

pbrewer_uk do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Apr 2 07:52:31 EDT 2007

This is really just a jsf question, but you can acheive this just like exporting to html - with one key difference, you must include the f:view tag with a content type of text/xml. Although I have used facelet templates with this technique, I assume the examples below can easily be adapted.

Note 1: You can specify content types other than text/xml - if you do, make sure the f:view encloses your output document - facelets will only parse valid xml.

Note 2: This will  not work with icefaces - its direct to dom rendered expects a dom tree with root element of html (haven't checked this with 1.6 releases though).

Note 3: Seam now provides a way of outputting pdf documents using jsf tags - see seam docs!

Example 1: outputting xml

  | <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
  | <myXmlRoot xmlns:t="http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk"
  |            xmlns:f="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core">
  |     <f:view contentType="text/xml" />
  |   <t:dataList var="rowData" value="#{results}">
  |     <myItem>#{rowData.description}</myItem>
  |   </t:dataList>
  | </myXmlRoot>

Example 2: outputting csv

  | <f:view contentType="text/csv"
  |         xmlns:f="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core"
  |         xmlns:t="http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk">
  |
  | "First Item", "Second Item"
  |     <t:dataList var="rowData" value="#{results}">
  | "#{rowData.item1}", "#{rowData.item2}"
  |     </t:dataList>
  |
  | </f:view>

Hope this helps,