[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: Cannot retrieve user: Unable to locate current JTA trans

kpalania do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Aug 7 11:36:35 EDT 2007

"sohil.shah at jboss.com" wrote : Yes you are correct. New security realm is not the issue. Its inability of the Servlet Environment to properly populate the security information needed by JBoss Portal.

  | In fact why dont you try swicthing the portal security realm to your custom/shared security realm and its LoginModules. You will still need to use the deep JAAS/container managed approach, but you will be using the security realm which is shared by all your applications.
  |
  | You should be able to do this by:
  |
  | 1/ Modify <application-policy name="portal"> inside jboss-portal.sar/conf/login-config.xml to
  | <application-policy name="{your security realm here}">
  |
  | 2/ Inside jboss-portal.sar/portal-server.war/WEB-INF/jboss-web.xml make <security-domain>java:jaas/portal</security-domain> to <security-domain>java:jaas/{your security realm here}</security-domain>
  |
  | Note: even with this approach you will still need to use the container based/j_security approach for Portal to be properly populated with the security information.
  |
  | btw- I have never tried swapping the realm this way for Portal. This is in theory, so let us know if this actually works ;)
  |
  | Thanks

Sohil,
This is exactly how I have it now. It is working as I expected it to. And I've had this working this way for a while.

However, as I mentioned earlier, the requirements changed and for some other reasons, I can't do that anymore and I need to be able to explicitly invoke the login module. This is where the problem creeps up.

I disabled container managed security for app #1 that is also deployed in JBoss and uses the shared security realm. All works well because that is our app and we control the authorization.

It doesn't work for app#2 (using JBoss Portal) as the authorization is beyond my control. Actually, I even ran into a NPE from the JBoss Portal code (a Portal bug that I need to file a jira issue for) but I managed to get past it by doing some hacks. However, I am now at the point where the subject doesn't contain any principals.

The only, last thing I need is a way to add the principals to the subject. How do I get a handle to the subject so that I can add the principals, is the million dollar question at this point....

Have spent hours on this (identify the NPE, finding a hack for it, etc.) so any solutions to this would be immensely helpful and truly appreciated!!

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4071672#4071672

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4071672