[jboss-user] [JBoss jBPM] - Re: Lifecycle of process and task instances

kukeltje do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Aug 8 13:47:01 EDT 2007

anonymous wrote : So as you see I still didn?t get the whole picture yet, despite digging into the documentation and source code and searching the forum (yes, I found some hints but some have been contradictory, though). Therefore I would really appreciate one of you, maybe even one of the developers, giving me this picture.

Yes, sometimes the docs are 'out of date'. The sourcecode is always best

anonymous wrote : Probably I am also not the only one seeking for it.
Well, have not had lots of questions like this, none in fact. So....
anonymous wrote :
  | Isn't there anybody who can explain me how the lifecycles or process instances, subprocess instances and task instances look like and how these lifecycles relate to each other?

There probably are lost, but most do not take the time (including me at first) since it is a long post with a lot of questions... AND the source provides some answers...

Let's go:

anonymous wrote : What is with timers in suspended state. Do they continue or are they suspended as well?
If you look at the testcases of tasks and timers, you see there is nothing there regarding this question. Although timers (jobs) have a 'isSuspended()' method, it is never used in the code... Some  simple research.... There are also no open issues in the JIRA, so at best it is undefined. Write some testclasses (extend TaskInstanceDBTest) to see the behaviour

anonymous wrote : -> Suspended is like process instance suspension but just for the single task. Isn?t it? Could be, I doubt however it was ever the intention to suspend individual tasks

Now looking at the processInstance.suspend(), jobs (including timers on tasks) ARE suspended if you suspend the process!!! This strengthens my previous remark on suspending individual tasks (Again.... all from looking at the code)

anonymous wrote : -> What is the open state for? (the isopen flag is set in the database)
Look in the source when it is set... it is sort of a convenience attribute....

anonymous wrote : Now: How do states of process instance, subprocess instance and task instances of the process instance and any subprocess instance relate?

Tokens, tokens, tokens... the key concept of jBPM. They are parsed recusively when things are ended, cancelled, suspended or resumed as can be seen in the source...

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4072128#4072128

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4072128