[jboss-user] [Remoting] - Re: BisocketServerInvoker and random port issue

ron.sigal@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Aug 9 17:11:01 EDT 2007

anonymous wrote : Can anyone please clarify if there is any way to configure the BisocketServerInvoker to not use a random port when starting the secondary server?

There is a JIRA issue for this feature: JBREM-749 "BisocketServerInvoker: Make configurable the address and port of secondary server socket".  It is scheduled for the next Remoting release.

anonymous wrote :  If this is true, am I correct in assuming that it is impossible to operate an application (jboss-4.2.0.GA + jboss-messaging-1.3.0.GA) that utilizes it behind a firewall unless all ports are open? If this is true, was there a reason for it?

Until the fix for JBREM-749 is available, you're correct.  The motivation for the bisocket transport was to support *clients* behind a firewall.

anonymous wrote : Is the thought here to use the multiplex transport instead of the bisocket? Would there be any performance impacts by using the different transport? I am assuming bisocket would give the best performance, is that correct?

I'm recommending, whenever possible, bisocket over multiplex.  It's faster (we don't have any statistics yet, but I'd guess at least 50% faster).  It's also, in my opinion, more reliable.  It's used by JBossMessaging, which means it's being used in production in many places.  It's relatively new, and we're still shaking out some wrinkles, but I'm not aware of any comparable use of multiplex.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4072724#4072724

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4072724