[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Flex + Seam integration approaches

stu2 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Aug 16 23:07:36 EDT 2007

No tinkering yet, but I've done quite a bit of research.

The approach I'm most drawn to is the optimized flex remoting support.  The serverside impl from Adobe (Flex Data Services) costs on the order of $20,000/CPU apparently... #$%^ scratch that.  I just stumbled on http://www.graniteds.org/confluence/display/INTRO/Granite+Data+Services, which is open source, and very actively developed.  From reading the newsgroup it looks far enough along to be worth pursuing.

And someone's already begun working on a Seam adapter.  http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/graniteds/message/272.   Serverside, the remoting support needs to know how to instantiantiate client-requested objects.  So supporting this should just be a matter of creating an appropriate factory.  There's already support for Spring, so it shouldn't be very difficult to add this in (I'll tackle it if it isn't done when I'm at that point).

Flex WebService bindings are appealing, but the details look kinda icky at this point.  My biggest concern is that the bindings are all dynamically - there doesn't appear to be any wsdl2actionscript type aproach.  When sending graphs back and forth, the fragility of typelessness makes me not want to go there.  The next beta of Flex Builder 3 supposedly addresses this (btw, that's a $500 tool).

Anyway, I'm just posting this in case others are scoping this out too.  When I dig into code I will certainly blog/post about experiences.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4075063#4075063

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4075063