[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - High Swap Utilization, lot's of RAM free

Polaren do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Aug 23 12:29:50 EDT 2007

Hey guys,

Alright, so I have a server I am monitoring 8 Opteron dual cores, 28GB of ram, and a decent amount of SCSI HD space, not in a raid configuration though.
Essentially it uses Jboss application server with a program that writes SQL statements commits them.etc.etc to the database(Sybase). The database is not being maxed at all. Although this server is for some reason utilizing tons of swap space. So we say okay it is maxing out 28GB of RAM? It's not as it is utilizing around 14GB , with another 14GB committed. I have no idea why it is swapping so much, it doesn't make much sense when it has 14GB of memory free. It's almost almost as though it doesn't know how to utilize the remaining memory, yet somedays it will use up to around 20GB. When it get's into heavy load it will not use the extra memory it has, if we lower the available memory to it (as it is not using it) we get memory exception errors. 28GB committed has been the only way it is working properly.

I am not a Jboss expert in anyway, I monitor the performance and utilization of the servers. Any advice or input would be appreciated. If you need more info, I'd be happy to provide it.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4077441#4077441

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4077441