[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - SeamLoginModule EntityManager injection difficulties

trickyvail do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Feb 23 12:28:16 EST 2007

I am running Seam version 1.1.6 on a JBoss 4.0.5.GA server.

While following the example from the Seam documentation (page 124) for creating a SeamLoginModule authentication method I have run into the following error:

09:37:41,228 ERROR [SeamLoginModule] Error invoking login method
  | javax.faces.el.EvaluationException: Exception while invoking expression #{authenticator.authenticate}
  |         at org.apache.myfaces.el.MethodBindingImpl.invoke(MethodBindingImpl.java:153)
  |         at org.jboss.seam.actionparam.ActionParamBindingHelper.invokeTheExpression(ActionParamBindingHelper.java:59)
  |         at org.jboss.seam.actionparam.ActionParamMethodBinding.invoke(ActionParamMethodBinding.java:74)
  | [SNIP]
  |         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
  | Caused by: org.jboss.seam.RequiredException: In attribute requires value for component: authenticator.entityManager
  |         at org.jboss.seam.Component.getInstanceToInject(Component.java:1920)
  |         at org.jboss.seam.Component.injectFields(Component.java:1386)
  |         at org.jboss.seam.Component.inject(Component.java:1156)
  | [SNIP]
  |         ... 59 more

This suggests that Seam is unable to locate and inject the entityManager by its component name. The relevant java bean that the login component is calling is as follows:

@Name("authenticator")
  | public class Authenticator
  | {
  | 	@In EntityManager entityManager;
  |
  | 	public boolean authenticate()
  | 	{
  | 		return true;
  | 	}
  | }

For completeness here, is the form that is calling the validation:
<!DOCTYPE composition PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
  |                       "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
  | <ui:composition xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
  |                 xmlns:s="http://jboss.com/products/seam/taglib"
  |                 xmlns:ui="http://java.sun.com/jsf/facelets"
  |                 xmlns:f="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core"
  |                 xmlns:h="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html"
  |                 template="layout/template.xhtml">
  |
  | <ui:define name="body">
  |
  |     <h1>Login</h1>
  |
  |     <h:messages styleClass="message"/>
  |
  |     <h:form>

  |                     <h:inputText id="username" value="#{identity.username}"/>
  |                     <h:inputSecret id="password" value="#{identity.password}"/>
  |                   <h:selectBooleanCheckbox id="rememberMe" value="#{identity.rememberMe}"/>

  |             <h:commandButton value="Login" action="#{identity.login}"/>
  |
  |     </h:form>
  |
  | </ui:define>
  | </ui:composition>

I have also tried to annotate the EntityManager object in the following ways:
@In("entityManager") EntityManager entityManager;

  | @In(value="entityManager") EntityManager entityManager;
but have recieved the same error.

My configuration was generated by seam-gen and the authenticate method works fine until I try to inject an EntityManager into the component.

I will create a Stateful Session Bean in order to try to inject the EntityManager by the EJB3.0 annotation @PersistenceContext rather than Seam @In annotation.

Could this be caused by a filter loading order? I've looked at web.xml and it does not seem to be the cause. I think too that the identity component is a Seam component (ie. eats its own dogfood), therefore should not be a problem, Maybe the identity component is instantiated before other components like the entity manager?

P.S. Thank you Gavin King for all your past helpful answers.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4021216#4021216

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4021216