[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Seam and Portal Future

norman.richards@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jan 4 17:17:24 EST 2007

Portal does solve some big issues.  jboss.org runs on portal, and I couldn't imagine trying to do something with that scope by building up all the components in Seam.  There are too many moving pieces, developed by different teams that need to come together.  Things like that really need advanced infrastructure, and I really don't think *I* would want to write that.

When writing the dvd store, I tried to simulate the effect of a portal.  There are clearly defined regions with clearly defined content boxes on the side.  It is all done using faces templates.  It works really well, but it wasn't trivial to get all the pages to look (and work) consistently.  I think there are maybe 4 or 5 distinct pages in the app, divided into two sections (user and admin).    I don't know how far the techniques could scale, but I'm sure it isn't that far.  It was MUCH easier than doing the equivalent work in other technologies,  but it left me longing for something more.

Portal is clearly too heavy a tool, but I don't know of a lightweight portal solution for these types of things.  I'm very curious to see how other people approach these types of issues and whether or not someone can come up with something to sit on top of seam to simply create a portal-lite environment.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3998083#3998083

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3998083