[jboss-user] [JBossCache] - Buddy replication behavior

puggelli do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jan 16 12:54:12 EST 2007

Hi all,
I'm testing the buddy replication with JBossCache version 1.4.0-SP1.
I found a strange behavior, so I'm wondering if it is correct.

Let suppose to have there caches A, B, C configured with:

  |         <attribute name="BuddyReplicationConfig">
  |                 <config>
  |                         <buddyReplicationEnabled>true</buddyReplicationEnabled>
  |                         <buddyLocatorClass>org.jboss.cache.buddyreplication.NextMemberBuddyLocator</buddyLocatorClass>
  |                         <buddyCommunicationTimeout>50000</buddyCommunicationTimeout>
  |
  |                         <buddyLocatorProperties>
  |                                 numBuddies = 1
  |                                 ignoreColocatedBuddies = true
  |                         </buddyLocatorProperties>
  |
  |                         <dataGravitationRemoveOnFind>false</dataGravitationRemoveOnFind>
  |                         <dataGravitationSearchBackupTrees>true</dataGravitationSearchBackupTrees>
  |                         <autoDataGravitation>false</autoDataGravitation>
  |                 </config>
  |         </attribute>

If the caches are started in the A, B, C order then the replication chain
is A replicates on B, B replicates on C and C replicates on A:

        A -> B -> C -> A

Let suppose to store 1 on A, 2 on B and 3 on C with the call:

  |         cache.put(new Fqn(new Integer(x)), key, value);

where x is 1,2 and 3 and key/value some data.

Then the caches contain (all the three caches are running on the
192.168.0.4 host).

A (192.168.0.4:33510)

  |         /
  |                 _BUDDY_BACKUP_
  |                         192.168.0.4_33517
  |                                 3
  |                 1

B (192.168.0.4:33512)

  |         /
  |                 _BUDDY_BACKUP_
  |                         192.168.0.4_33510
  |                                 1
  |                 2

C (192.168.0.4:33517)

  |                 /
  |                 _BUDDY_BACKUP_
  |                         192.168.0.4_33512
  |                                 2
  |                 3

If the process where the cache A is killed then the data contained in
the other two is the following:

B (192.168.0.4:33512)

  |         /
  |                 _BUDDY_BACKUP_
  |                         192.168.0.4_33510
  |                                 1
  |                         192.168.0.4_33517
  |                                 3
  |                 2

C (192.168.0.4:33517)

  |         /
  |                 _BUDDY_BACKUP_
  |                         192.168.0.4_33512
  |                                 2
  |                 3

I think that this is not correct, it should be:

B (192.168.0.4:33512)

  |         /
  |                 _BUDDY_BACKUP_
  |                         192.168.0.4_33517