[jboss-user] [JBoss jBPM] - How to handle Process Instances that have not completed?

james1969 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jan 19 15:19:44 EST 2007

We are using JPBM with a JMS Q at the start and end of the workflow engine.  So basically a workflow process instance is created when a message arrives on the incoming Q, and work is carried out for that message and when the workflow completes, a status message is placed on the outgoing Q.  None of our workflows involved human intervention, they are all automated.  Each workflow instance is created and executed by a worker thread that is listening on the input Q.

When we do a build to production, we have to bounce our servers, so when this happens, any processes that are in mid-workflow execution will stopped and not complete due to server shutdown.  So this leaves us with a handful of process instances that did not complete.

So I have to create a way of finding all outstanding process instances that are not complete and restart them.  So here are my questions:

1.  Is JBPM smart enough to pick up where it left off with a given process that is already in progress but did not complete?  Or do I have to determine where i left off, and restart that process at the node of choice?

2.  Or should I just find the processes that has not complete and extract the relavent data and start a new process instance all together?

3.  Or is there a better way to approach this issue all together?

thanks,
James

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4004024#4004024

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4004024