[jboss-user] [Tomcat, HTTPD, Servlets & JSP] - Re: where to put context.xml in JBoss?

BrianR do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jan 24 07:08:47 EST 2007

In addition to the WEB-INF/context.xml file or the META-INF/context.xml file, standalone Tomcat will also look for an application's context information in its "conf/Catalina/localhost<or-other-hostname>/" direcotry, in a file named <context-name>.xml.  For instance, if I have a web application called "myApp", then in standalone Tomcat, I can keep its context information in "conf/Catalina/localhost/myApp.xml".

This is very convenient for deployments of a single WAR file to multiple environments (development testing, QA, production) since we are able to specify environment-specific information in the external context file without having to go in and rewrite the context information in the WAR file.  Deployment/redeployment becomes a simple matter of copying a WAR file to either the development, QA, or production server.

Why does JBoss not seem to support these externalized context files, even though it incorporates Tomcat 5.5 which does support them?  If it supports them, where should the "myApp.xml" context file be placed such that JBoss can find it?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4005752#4005752

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4005752