[jboss-user] [JBoss jBPM] - Re: Concurrent Processing using Fork in synchronous manner

estaub do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jul 6 14:01:42 EDT 2007

Ronald,

>> Examples often do 'wrong' things..

I think you're suggesting that this isn't a real use case.  I think I see your point -- without any asynchronous behavior, the two branches are serialized and so might as well be modeled as a straight line.

But imagine an actionhandler that may enter a wait state (not signal, but wait for an external signal) or not, dependent on some condition.  In this case, a fork might make sense, but in some conditions would fail as described.

In general, I think these kinds of problems should be fixed, regardless of whether it seems to be a real-world case.  ["These kinds of problems" is vague, and vulnerable to reductio ad absurdum.]  They reduce confidence in JBPM and give it a "bad taste".  If it seems broken, it might as well be broken.

>> What is the issue here is that there is no wait state where the process is persisted, so everything happens in one 'transaction'... and both update the same token...

Agreed.  A good fix is complex... this is another of those cases where the correct fix will depend on whether the deployment is single-threaded, multi-threaded/single-server, or multi-threaded/multi-server.  I wrote a fix that queues up a job to do the parent-token work in Join... but it's only a good fit for one or two of those three deployment scenarios.

-Ed Staub

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4061423#4061423

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4061423