[jboss-user] [Persistence, JBoss/CMP, Hibernate, Database] - mappedBy and inheritance

denpet do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jul 13 07:10:53 EDT 2007

I have a problem with extending entity classes and OneToMany relations.
(The problem is not the same as http://jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=111688)

My superclass, Inventory, has a column, station, which is used to map a relation with the Station entity

  | public class Station implements Serializable {
  | 	@OneToMany(cascade = ALL, mappedBy = "station")
  | 	private Set<InventoryType1> inventory1 = new HashSet<InventoryType1>(0);
  | }
  |
  | public class Inventory implements Serializable {
  | 	/** Station */
  | 	@ManyToOne
  | 	@JoinColumn(name = "station_id")
  | 	private Station station;
  | }
  |
  | public class InventoryType1 extends Inventory implements Serializable {
  | }

This fails with a
anonymous wrote : org.hibernate.AnnotationException: mappedBy reference an unknown target entity property: Inventory1.station in Station.inventory1
As Inventory1 has no station column. In my opinion is has, as it inherits the columns of Inventory.
I could probably work around this by moving the station_id to each sub entity, but it really belongs in the super class as it's common for all Inventory types.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4063933#4063933

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4063933