[jboss-user] [EJB 3.0] - How to map an array or a list of enums?

grettke_spdr do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Jun 11 20:02:08 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

In EJB 3.0 via Seam 1.2.1.GA we want to persist an entity with an array of enums.

In the entity

  | public UnderwritingConcernEnum[] getConcerns() {
  |         return concerns;
  |     }
  |
  |     public void setConcerns(UnderwritingConcernEnum[] concerns) {
  |         this.concerns = concerns;
  |     }
  |

  | public enum UnderwritingConcernEnum {
  |
  |     REINSURANCE("Reinsurance", "", "Re"),
  |     INSUREDS_REQUEST("Insured's Request", "", "IRt"),
  |     OLDER_ORNATE_STRUCTURE("Older Ornate Structure", "", "OOSe"),
  |     VALUATION("Valuation", "", "Vn"),
  |     LIABILTY_ACTIVITIES("Liability Exposures/Activities", "", "LAs"),
  |     OTHER("Other (Be Specific)", "", "Or");
  |
  |     private final String label;
  |     private final String description;
  |     private final String value;
  |
  |     UnderwritingConcernEnum(String label, String description, String value) {
  |         this.label = label;
  |         this.description = description;
  |         this.value = value;
  |     }
  |
  |     public String getLabel() {
  |         return label;
  |     }
  |
  |     public String getDescription() {
  |         return description;
  |     }
  |
  |     public String getValue() {
  |         return value;
  |     }
  | }

We have tried using the ordinal enumeration attribute, and also removing it. Either way, this entity will no be persisted failing with the error.

  | 18:56:41,484 INFO  [STDOUT] Hibernate: insert into Contact (CONTACT_NAME, CONTAC
  | T_ROLE, CONTACT_EMAIL, CONTACT_PHONE, CONTACT_TITLE) values (?, ?, ?, ?, ?)
  | 18:56:41,515 INFO  [STDOUT] Hibernate: insert into Account (priority, totalNumOf
  | Buildings, totalBuildingValueFromInForceMP, CONTACT_ID, concerns, cmicAccountNum
  | ber, expirationDate, acctName, acctAddress, acctCity, acctState, acctZip, todays
  | Date, comments, requestedBy) values (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?
  | )
  | 18:56:41,531 ERROR [Priority1RequestActionMock] java.lang.ClassCastException: [L
  | com.churchmutual.rms.enums.UnderwritingConcernEnum;

There is seemingly no documentation on how to do this. Please talk me off of the ledge on this one.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4053304#4053304

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4053304