[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: [1.3 CVS]Tomcat users getting the shaft?

gavin.king@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Jun 23 05:29:45 EDT 2007

anonymous wrote : Seam configuration could have been made simple by writing to the jboss deployment framework. All the gobbledegook in web.xml and tagging ejb jar files with a seam.properties file would have been unneeded. Sure, you would have to use that extra metadata if you wanted to run in WLS or Websphere, but don't you think we should be making things easier in environments where it is possible?

You keep saying this Bill, but it just doesn't seem correct.

I don't see how a JBoss deployer could possibly reduce the web.xml gobbledegook, a typical web.xml in 1.3 on AS 4.2 looks like:

<web-app>

  |     <listener>
  |         <listener-class>org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamListener</listener-class>
  |     </listener>
  |
  |     <filter>
  |         <filter-name>Seam Filter</filter-name>
  |         <filter-class>org.jboss.seam.web.SeamFilter</filter-class>
  |     </filter>
  |
  |     <filter-mapping>
  |         <filter-name>Seam Filter</filter-name>
  |         <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
  |     </filter-mapping>
  |
  |     <servlet>
  |         <servlet-name>Faces Servlet</servlet-name>
  |         <servlet-class>javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet</servlet-class>
  |         <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
  |     </servlet>
  |
  |     <servlet-mapping>
  |         <servlet-name>Faces Servlet</servlet-name>
  |         <url-pattern>*.seam</url-pattern>
  |     </servlet-mapping>
  |
  | </web-app>

I'm not sure which bit of that you find offensive, nor do I really see how using a deployer would help.

Oh, and in 1.3, you don't need faces-config at all unless you are using facelets.

As for the seam.properties file: BFD! It's an empty file. Who cares? I would rather require it in all environments than have to document which environments it is required in and which it is not, and make Seam applications more unportable.

The only other bit of required metadata is ejb-jar.xml, which yes, we could eliminate using a deployer, but again, it would reduce portability for little obvious gain in simplicity. It looks exactly the same in every Seam application, and you simply never have to open it or think about it.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4057108#4057108

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4057108