[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Excel support in Seam: any interest?

mjek2 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Mar 1 04:11:09 EST 2007

Hi all,

thank you very much for all your feedback. The number of posts shows that many people would like to have excel integration.
anonymous wrote :
  | What I would wish is a tag lib which really produces genuine excel files - including formulas, cell types, number formats. It would be ideal if one could use an original excel file as a "template". Then one would add pivot tables and nice little graphs to the tamplate, the user could specify some filters and aggragation levels and then the pivot data would be copied to the excel file.

Very interesting idea, and I think it would be possible with JExcel (but needs  some additional config, e.g. where to store templates to use)
anonymous wrote :
  | Sure MS Office is widely spread but ODF is an international industry standard that is supported by a wide variety of applications (like OpenOffice) and doesn't lock you in with a file format thats just a pain in the ass if one doesn't use it with MS Office on MS Windows.

I can only partially agree with it: sure, excel is proprietary, but it's a de-facto standard, whether we like it or not (and yes, I use OpenOffice too ;). And AFAIK OpenDocument file format is rather complex (and JExcel is rather simple and hence can be integrated faster). But in future one could certainly think about ODF as well.
anonymous wrote :
  | Btw, does JExcel also work in non-windows OSes?

JExcel generates xls file format (not csv), so if your browser can handle application/msexcel MIME type it should work in non-windows as well.
anonymous wrote :
  | I think Excel support is a great idea. How about something like this
  |
  | http://displaytag.sourceforge.net/10/export.html

Interesting, but at first sight it seems to me to be more export than reporting functionality, i.e. it exports the exact content of your dataTable. OTOH reporting is something dynamic, report data can be produced by some business logic components without a need to be rendered as a dataTable. But I will look at this more detailed, thank you for the link!

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4024135#4024135

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4024135