[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Seam/Hibernate meetup in San Francisco, Friday, March 2

RobJellinghaus do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Mar 2 20:04:48 EST 2007

I just now read this thread and mailed Gavin.  If I don't hear from him I'll crash it anyway, as I wouldn't miss this :-)

A local Seam user group sounds great.  My personal effort right now is to integrate the Google Web Toolkit and Seam.  My rationale is here:

http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/thread/90c82f3b92191e0c/

The technical goal is to make it straightforward to implement GWT modules as JSF widgets, making RPC calls to interfaces exposed by Seam components.

I've gotten as far as getting a GWT patch 99% accepted to the GWT 1.4 release:

http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit-Contributors/browse_thread/thread/8f1140184070548f

And based on that I have another patch ready for the g4jsf project, as soon as the GWT patch is committed (the ajax4jsf guys have given me the thumbs-up):

https://ajax4jsf.dev.java.net/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=2719

All of this is leading up to making an example of a GWT module integrated into a Seam application.  I'm thinking of converting the booking example, a la Todd Smart's ajax4jsf integration, so that the confirmation UI is implemented as a GWT module.

Now, there are all kinds of interesting ramifications of this.  The GWT direction is to make rich clients -- dare I say, conversational clients -- much easier to build.  The Seam direction is to make richly conversational server-based applications much easier to build.  So there's some sizable overlap.  I'm hoping to ask around tonight about how the Seam guys see the two technologies and their tradeoffs.

See you all tonight :-)
Cheers!
Rob

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4024793#4024793