[jboss-user] [JBoss jBPM] - Re: Best way to debug my BPEL processes in JBPM?

alex.guizar@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Mar 5 17:30:34 EST 2007

You can read about the ProxyWarnLog here.  Searching the word "ProxyWarnLog" in this forum should also give you the details you need.

anonymous wrote : what is the best way to debug what went wrong?
Try not to rely to much on a debugger. Personally, I did; after a while I found it took too much time to find even the simplest problems. Now I prefer to examine the log file. The problem with logs is that they tend to have an overwhelming amount of useless information. Fortunately, it can be filtered :-)

JBoss AS uses log4j as its logging kit. The configuration file resides in server/[profile]/conf/log4j.xml. The log4j manual provides a great description of the configuration file format.

Hibernate can be quite verbose, in typical debug sessions I limit everything but the SQL statements:
   <!-- Limit the org.hibernate category to INFO as its DEBUG is verbose -->
  |    <category name="org.hibernate">
  |       <priority value="INFO"/>
  |    </category>
  |    <!-- Limit the SQL statements -->
  |    <category name="org.hibernate.SQL">
  |       <priority value="DEBUG"/>
  |    </category>
  |    <category name="org.hibernate.engine.StatefulPersistenceContext.ProxyWarnLog">
  |       <priority value="ERROR"/>
  |    </category>
Note, the above also takes care of the annoying ProxyWarnLog entries popping up in the console.

jBPM emits log messages on any process execution event:
15:49:28,765 DEBUG GraphElement : event 'node-leave' on 'Receive(A)' for 'Token(/primary/S)'
  | 15:49:28,765 DEBUG GraphElement : event 'transition' on 'Transition(A-StructuredActivity.End)' for 'Token(/primary/S)'
  | 15:49:28,765 DEBUG GraphElement : event 'node-enter' on 'Receive(B)' for 'Token(/primary/S)'
In the above extract, "A" and "B" are the activity names. By looking at nearby GraphElement entries, you can determine the activity where the fault occurred.

This information also goes to the database so that you can access it programmatically. Refer to the chapter on logging in the jBPM user guide for details.

anonymous wrote : If I want to debug the source code, which port of 'localhost' I should attach the eclipse debugger with?
JBoss AS does not start the JVM in debug mode by default. If you want to do so and you are running on Windows, edit bin/run.bat. Look for "JPDA options", then uncomment the following line:
rem set JAVA_OPTS=-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8787,server=y,suspend=y %JAVA_OPTS%
The port will be 8787.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4025227#4025227

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4025227