[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Eclipse, JBoss & exploded deployment

gcomnz do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Mar 7 15:49:23 EST 2007

In my experience so far, you need to have a real ear directory of some name, under which your various wars and jars will be deployed by the native Eclipse builder. Additionally, you need to put this under a deploy directory, so that you can tell JBoss to poll that directory for deployable modules. It's not beautiful, but it works, without needing to message with Eclipse's link dirs, and everything can be checked in for a team to use as is without special local setup.

So, for instance, in your project base path, you could create a "deploy/" directory, and under that put "projectname.ear/" directory. Inside that create the ear's deploy/projectname.ear/META-INF directory and any relevant files.

Then in the java build path dialog for the project, on the source tab, check the box for "Allow output folders for source folders". Then go through each of your sub-archives' src and resource dirs in that tab, and set their "Output folder" to each one's appropriate, exploded-style, directory under the previously created projectname.ear location.

If my extremely unclear instructions make any sense, you should now have Eclipse auto-building into an exploded ear, and all that remains is that your configure JBoss to poll that directory. So for instance you should have something like:

  | /deploy/
  |    /projectname.ear/
  |        /META-INF/
  |        /projectname.jar/
  |        /projectname.war/

If anyone has a better way to do this, that also fulfills all the reasonable goals, such as team-compatibility without extra local configuration, hacks, and other messiness, I'd be very interested. This has worked great for me for sometime though.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4025949#4025949

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4025949