[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: [OT] Seam and Tomahawk - lost property?

supernovasoftware.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Mar 8 13:32:00 EST 2007

Seam+Richfaces have a fair amount of overlap.  I am using Tomahawk tags in my app:

1.  dataTable
I will be switching these out asap to Richfaces.  I currently have no problem with them, but the Richfaces on looks better.  I will see how this process goes.    If I have to makes substantial changes to my code.  I will try to see if I had been taken down the wrong track as SmokingAPipe stated.  I have had this feeling before.

2.  buffer
I use this to buffer a error message for an input field and then write it into the title of input field for easy mouse over without javascript.  I am sure there is an easy Seam or Facelets way to do this.  If any one has suggestions, I welcome them.

3.  inputCalendar
Seam now has a date picker and there is no reason not to switch to that.  This is all encapsulated in a Facelets tag so the upgrade with be a snap.  In theory ;)

4. panelTabbedPane
Richfaces has tabPanel and I will switch this out as well.

5. jscookMenu
I have no problems with this tag.  It provides the majority of the navigation to my application.  I do not plan on changing this until there is an equivalent  in richfraces.

I doubt that all tomahawk components are bad.  If Richfaces or Seam had overlapping functionality the why not go with those.

There should be documentation on the compatibility of different individual components with Seam.  It should be easy to find this information.  Possibly there could be a section on the wiki that list component sets and each component.  Then users could comment on individual components and the Seam team could even comment on compatibly.  I think that this would give people a chance to collaborate regarding their experience in a more organized fashion than the forums.  The bottom line is that Seam rocks and the move component that I can use it with the better.  I think if the component respects the JSF spec then it should work with Seam.  If it does not then it should be fixed or not used.  Users need motivation to comment on their experiece with different tags in an organized fashion that will benefit everyone.

If this is going to rival M$ then there should be a large number of OS components compatible with Seam.

Tomahawk
Trinidad
Richfaces
Woodstock