[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Seam Tools, Project Structures, and IDEs

Delphi's Ghost do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Mar 21 16:26:36 EDT 2007

First off, thank you all for the replies.

Gavin, the release of RHDS may take months, but that isn't a problem. This project is in-house and will be in production for the next decade so it is still worth it for us to aim for RHDS as the tool to use long term.

While the Seam-Gen route is pretty easy, using the Seam reference guide and having a Seam-Gen app to look at, I found it pretty straight forward to create my own Ear project in Netbeans and get it up and running. Most of my delays were due to doing it piecemeal, when I should have just added all the elements at once.
The seam reference is a great document, and is very thorough in letting developers know which pieces go where and why. However, I'm sure without examples and documentation, it would take weeks to do, which is a testament to the quality of the Seam reference as I did it in about a week including interruptions, and making mistakes.

One problem with Seam-Gen is it looks ugly in eclipse (src folder at the top, 20+ jars, and then the view folders at the bottom). I suppose I could put the jars in a library for the purpose of being tidy in the IDE.

Good to know the WTP stuff in Eclipse is flawed, at least I know it's not just me messing it up.

Tony, your project type is the kind we want to use, but it looks like MyEclipse adds a few things to the standard Eclipse that makes it easier to use Ear projects. The problem in standard Eclipse was forcing it to put jars into the ear folder which it seems is no problem with MyEclipse. MyEclipse may be an option for us until RHDS comes out, especially as it has the exploded deployment options.

Stu2, you are correct. I just tried it again to check I wasn't mistaken as I'd mostly assumed that since you can't bind a Seam-Gen project to a server in the IDE, it couldn't debug it in the IDE, but obviously you can!. This changes a few things, since it means we can do a generic project with our own ant script, or use Seam-Gen and get the benefits of IDE debugging when needed.

Great stuff all,

Thanks

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4030367#4030367

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4030367