[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Please, help to find optimal strategy for multiple iteration

anarinsky do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Mar 22 19:12:44 EDT 2007

For the sake of simplicity my database contains 2 tables ? containers and fruits.  I need to show a report that contains a list of fruits for every container

So, on my report page I have to iterate through the list of containers and for every container show the list of fruits

I generated the entities using seam-gen and received the following objects:
Container
ContainerList
ContainerHome

Fruit
FruitList
FruitHome

In the Container object I have the method that retrieves the set of fruits.  However, due to the specifics of JSF I cannot iterate through the set on the page ? I can iterate only through the list.  Also, the ContainerHome object has a method that retrieves the list of fruits for a particular container.

Please, let me know what it the best strategy?

I think that I have several options. First, I can add  @Transient method in the Container object that retrieves the list of fruits.  What is better ? to use the existent Set method and transfer Set to List or to write another query?

Second, I can somehow for every Container use the List method specified in the ContainerHome object.  However, I do not know how to get the reference to the ContainerHome object for a particular Id on a JSF.

Should I create a new Session Bean for this task or I can use only Entity beans originally generated by seam-gen?

Thank you very much for a feedback

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4030883#4030883

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4030883