[jboss-user] [JNDI/Naming/Network] - Re: JBOSS, datasource jndi?In the init() mothod of HttpServle

jvorpahl do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Mar 29 17:10:04 EDT 2007

I know everyone who posted on this thread is probably long gone (since the thread was dated 2005) but I want to thank you guys for posting this. My company wanted to switch from a standalone Tomcat servlet container to JBoss because of the clustering package and the ability to go beyond 1 GB of memory for the JVM. This post is actually a thank you to the posters and a rant on the piss-poor qualiy of official documents and books that are out there for JBoss.

I started here 3 weeks ago in a developer/project management position and my large task was to set up 12 machines to run our Production and Staging environments. But the problem is I have exclusively used Web Sphere for the past 5 years, zero JBoss experience. To say the least, I was a bit nervous. I installed JBoss on Monday but the documentation is so rotten for JBoss (even the books written by the JBoss people) that it took me until today to get my JNDI lookups working. My boss thought I was useless, but nowhere did I ever come across a  tag mentioned.

Everywhere they said just create this and that and everything will work. Nowhere did it say "if you can't bind to the DataSource you might want to make sure the DataSource is being deployed before your application is deployed by using the  tag."

The books drill down to such details of other things, but totally skim over the details of initial configuration. They need to go into detail on the complicated things, but also go into detail about problems getting started. I'm sure if I would have read the whole book I would have came across this eventually, but really, when I find a document from HP (http://docs.hp.com/en/5991-5569/index.html) that is more informative and written better than the Official books, there is a problem.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4032945#4032945

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4032945