[jboss-user] [J2EE Design Patterns] - any pointers on how to automate ear versioning?

jsimone do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Mar 30 17:24:51 EDT 2007

We have an EAR that consists of 3 eclipse projects.  I would like to know if anyone has tried to "derive" some sort of version number for every build that can be applied to the ear.

Eclipse versions their IDE in an interesting way ...
  Version: 3.2.2
  Build id: M20070212-1330

for the IDE proper, but each feature
  Version: 3.2.2.r322_v20070119-RQghndJN8IM0MsK
  Build id: M20070212-1330

where a version number is concatenated with a date string and then some long random key string that LOOKS autogenerated.

We could just always use the date and bump a build-number but that would always produce a new version even if the code never changed (only a recompile).

I would think its possible to create a string that is based upon all the project files (.java, .xml, .properties etc.) that reflects the current level of code.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4033367#4033367