[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Renderer is not resolving a variable

gmarcus do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue May 1 11:13:55 EDT 2007

I need to send an email to a user when they register on my website that includes a link back to the website to confirm their email address.  I want to dynamically build the URL depending on the server it is deployed to.

I am trying to use a variable defined in components.xml:
<factory name="basePath" value="#{facesContext.externalContext.request.scheme}://#{facesContext.externalContext.request.serverName}:#{facesContext.externalContext.request.serverPort}#{facesContext.externalContext.request.contextPath}/"/>

NOTE: This text is all one line in components.xml.  The forum is wrapping the text here for display purposes.

I have a SLSB that is invoking Renderer to send an email to the user:

  |    public String register()
  |    {
  |       List existing = em.createQuery("select u.username from User u where u.username=#{user.username}")
  |          .getResultList();
  |
  |       if ( existing.size()==0 )
  |       {
  |          // save the user
  |     	 user.setValidated(false);
  |     	 em.persist(user);
  |          log.info("Registered new user #{user.username}");
  |          FacesMessages.instance().add("An account has been created for #{user.username}.");
  |
  |          // setup a verification token
  |          Token verificationToken = new Token(user.getUsername());
  |          em.persist(verificationToken);
  |
  |          // place the token hash into the session for use by email verification
  |          Contexts.getSessionContext().set("outtoken", verificationToken.getHash());
  |          log.info("Created a new Token for #{user.username}: #0", verificationToken.getHash());
  |
  |          // send an email verification
  |          try
  |          {
  |         	 renderer.render("/emailverification.xhtml");
  |              FacesMessages.instance().add("An email has been sent to #{user.email}.  Please follow the instructions sent to you via email to complete the registration process.");
  |          }
  |          catch (Exception e)
  |          {
  |         	 log.error("Error sending mail", e);
  |              FacesMessages.instance().add("There was a problem sending your verification email.  Please try again later.");
  |          }
  |
  |          return "success";
  |       }
  |       else
  |       {
  |          FacesMessages.instance().add("User #{user.username} already exists");
  |          return null;
  |       }
  |    }

emailverification.xhtml

  | <m:message xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
  |            xmlns:m="http://jboss.com/products/seam/mail"
  |            xmlns:s="http://jboss.com/products/seam/taglib"
  |            xmlns:ui="http://java.sun.com/jsf/facelets"
  |            xmlns:f="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core"
  |            xmlns:h="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html">
  |

  |     <m:from name="Support" address="no-reply at example.com" />
  |     <m:to name="#{user.name}">#{user.email}</m:to>
  |     <m:subject>Email Verification</m:subject>
  |     <m:body>
  | 	    In order to use your account,
  | 	    you must complete your registration by clicking on the link below.</p>
  |     </m:body>
  | </m:message>

Here is a sample of the email that is generated:

  | Dear Bob,
  |
  | Thank you for registering for a new account. In order to use your account,
  | you must complete your registration by clicking on the link below.
  |
  | /validate.seam?tk=gnqerr
  |
  | Regards,
  |
  | Glenn

The raw email message shows that the href is not set correctly:

  | From: Support <no-reply at example.com>
  | To: Bob <me at glennmarcus.com>
  | Subject: Email Verification
  | Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 10:57:27 -0400 (EDT)
  |
  | ------=_Part_28_7998763.1178031447360

  | 	    In order to use your account,
  | 	    you must complete your registration by clicking on the link below.</p>
  | ------=_Part_28_7998763.1178031447360--

The other variables #{user.name}, #{user.email}, #{outtoken} ) all get resolved correctly.  The #{basepath} does not.

1) Why doesn't #{basepath} resolve?
2) Is there a better way to dynamically build an href in an email message being sent by Renderer?

Thanks,
Glenn

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4042116#4042116

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4042116