[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: While Seam is great, is any weakness of this framework?

petemuir do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu May 3 17:23:25 EDT 2007

"fperedo" wrote : Maybe it is just me.. but I feel that lines between "cant be done without J2EE5" and "can't be done without the microcontainer" and "can be done with just tomcat" are blurry... perhaps if the documentation included some kind of feature matrix comparing the functionality of seam on each case? (also... if it can be deployed to tomcat  shouldn't that mean it should be easy to deploy pretty much everywhere?)

Feel free to raise a JIRA issue and someone can review this.  Forum posts tend to get lost, putting it in JIRA means it will get looked at :)

"fperedo" wrote : The thing I don't like about seam-gen, is that I feel like my applications gets to have lots of code I don't quite understand... and therefore... if something it that generated code fails... its going to be really hard to fix... I would like to be able to build a really really simple example and add stuff to it, to understand exactly what is done by each piece of the project...

pretty much *everything* in a skeleton seam app is necessary!  Ok, i guess you drop the security stuff, but the rest...

"supernovasoftware.com" wrote : Is there anyone else working on this? From the jira issue is appeared that there was a need.

not afaik.  i would expect this in a later beta of 1.3 or even a 1.3 point release.  or perhaps shane has it up his sleeve ;)  i agree its impotant, and if its not being looked at in June, I'll push for it.

"vwu98034" wrote : In general, I will use a framework with a great flexibility that allows me to integrate other technologies easily.

whilst seam doesn't have as many integrations as version 1 million of some other frameworks at the moment, it has a very strong base that makes integrations great!  seam's ws support will not only add ws (obviously!), it will also add a model for integrating seams conversations with non-jsf/ejb3 participants which we can then use in many other situations - for example a  seam conversation conducted via email.

otherwise: bpm, rules, email, pdf, richfaces, icefaces, ajax4jsf, trinidad, gwt- the list goes on!

"fperedo" wrote : I will have to integrate part of my projects with Flex, so I have to use eclipse (Flex is an eclipse plugin) if it werent for that, I would prefer to use Netbeans IDE

Interesting you mention flex - we should definitely have a flex/seam example (using seam remoting).

And yes, use ant and seam-gen in eclipse! ;)

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4043001#4043001

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4043001